Old February 21st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wes Stewart

Default What the?

On 19 Feb 2006 18:38:17 -0800, "KG0WX" wrote:

Thanks to all you guys for enlightening me. I did an experiment
- I tuned the dipper to 146.520 (not easy to get it right there) and
took my HT out for a walk. I could hear the carrier out to about
400 yards! I'm in a wire mesh/stucco/aluminum siding structure
in the city so that kind of output from an instrument is surprising.

Imagine what it would have done if I inductively coupled to my GP-6
at 25' ? lol! Next I'll try it on HF with my K2....

Back in the sixties I was living on a postage stamp sized lot in the
city and working 2M EME.

Some W6 moved to the next street over and decided what Tucson needed
was his crappy 2M repeater on the air.

Shortly after he moved in, while I was on the air, the next door
neighbor calls and said that I was creaming her TV. I hadn't changed
anything in months, but nevertheless began a witch hunt for my
problem. After a fruitless search I decided that maybe it was the
repeater and not me. Not owning an FM rig, I needed another way to
bring it up and thought of the GDO.

Swish swish and up it came (but with no TVI). It took more detective
work to figure out that it took my signal being on the air when the
repeater transmitted to clobber the TV. I let my automatic keyer run
the transmitter while walked next door to the neighbor's with the GDO
and went swish swish and the TV choked. I guess his receiver wasn't up
to handling 100KW erp a couple of hundred of yards away. [g]