Old February 21st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default 20 Meter Dipole - instant DX!!!

In article ,
Radio TexMex wrote:

Tim wrote:

I would! Use the ladder line and get rid of the balun. Much more
broadbanded solution. You CAN use a tuner at the rig to tune the
antenna, but if all you do is receive, it will work quite well. I
currently use a 200 foot dipole with ladder line and a tuner in the
shack. Works great just about anywhere I go. No coax and no balun
makes that possible!

-Tim

Radio TexMex wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Radio TexMex wrote:
Moral of this story: I've learned you can only get so much performance
out of an unmatched antenna with a tuner.
What kind of feedline were you using for the 40m dipole
when used on 20m?

I've been using RG-8X the entire time. I have some 450 ohm ladder line
laying around. Would you suggest trying that, or something other than the
coax?

Yeah, someone just pointed out, via email, the jack-assery I have going on
by using that balun. I just did some much needed reading and clarified to
myself *again* exactly what baluns do. And in this case, there's no need
for a 4:1 balun. I'm going to take it off and I *should* still get the
desired results.

Yeah I did not see that in your post sorry. Coax to dipole 1:1 would do
the job unless you have a fractional unit.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California