Old February 21st 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

Default Sony SW100 + KA31/DE31 active antenna ?

The Sony SW100 (excellent radio) does indeed put a voltage on the antenna
jack. You will need to place a capacitor in series to block it. However, a
Sony AN-LP1 will work just fine but you have to turn it on manually with the
SW100.

"Charly" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
I've never owned that particular small radio, but a ton of others. If I
was a betting man, I would bet your results would be poor using an
active antenna. Probably 8-10 feet of long wire is about all that
little radio can take before overloading the front end. More than that
and you'll hear images and junk all over the spectrum. An active
antenna would be much worse!

Try a few feet of simple wire and see what you get. Sell the active
antenna on eBay to finance the wire if you have to - he he. You'll
still have left over $$$.

-Tim
__________

Thanks Tim for the advice...

I tried the wire and the active antenna with an ATS 909 : The wire does a

great
job when you can extend it in an "open area"... In some buildings or

hotels made
of steel+concrete you must put your wire outside... when you can open

windows !

With the small active loop, you just put it in front of the window...

In general, the active antenna (at least the one I own) outperform the

wire in
most cases... and it can also help keeping noise level a bit lower than

with a wire.

That's why I'm asking with the SW100...

Charly