Old February 21st 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

Default What's wrong with my radio?

In article ,
running dogg wrote:
My Yaesu FRG-8800 has been acting strangely. Tonight while listening to
the BBC on 5975 I had blasts of static interrupt the broadcast. Finally
around 0310 the broadcast became inaudible. This is a problem with my
radio, since ALL stations all across the spectrum are now inaudible. I
tuned up to 6050 khz as well as checked WWV on 5 Mhz and everything has
gone deaf. I suspect that my troubles with listening to Cuba are related
to the same problem. A week ago I had a brief problem where a very
staticky Radio Australia swamped the spectrum. What could possibly be
wrong with my radio? How can I contact Yaesu? I had their contact info
years ago when I had to send my radio in for repairs twice, but I lost
it.

Generalizing by the same sort of problems with my Kenwood R-1000,
I'd first look at the power supply cabling and connectors. 1980 era
Japanese radio designers thought those 2.5 mm connectors were really
neat and managed to design stuff that tried to put way too many amperes
through one really small contact. Look for connector shells turning brown
or pins in the terminal strips/headers that have desoldered themselves
from the PC board.

Mark Zenier