Old February 23rd 06, 04:41 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,comp.dsp
Tim Wescott

Default Cost-Effective Fast Data Acquisition, and the LT5506

K7ITM wrote:

The data acq part: just get a stereo USB sound port. 16 bits at
22.05ks/s should be easy. I have one that's 24 bits, and it wasn't
anything like $400. You can get 16 bits stereo to 48k or 96k s/s for
much less than $100 these days, even isolated. Nice thing about
delta-sigma converters is that the antialias filtering is relatively
easy. In a design I did some fifteen years ago, I used a five-pole LC
filter implemented with little smt chokes and C0G caps that worked just
fine* and allowed a wide range of output data rates without changing
the filter, but typically you don't need anything like that sort of
rolloff if you're sticking to a narrow range of clock frequencies.

Call your local Linear Technology rep for current eval board
availability.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks. Someone else pointed out the soundcard part off list (d'oh).
Linear Tech doesn't do eval boards for that part, I was hoping maybe
someone knew of someone who does. I think I'm just going to do a
quick-turn eval board myself -- it's one of those itty bitty packages
with the grounding pad in the center, so it pretty much has to be
reflowed to be useful.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services