Old February 24th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james

Default Cobra 25LTD Classic tune up

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:00:08 GMT, Lancer wrote:

+On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:04:25 GMT, james wrote:
+
+On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:24:38 -0800, Jay in the Mojave
wrote:
+
++james wrote:
++
++ On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:40:53 -0800, Jay in the Mojave
++ wrote:
++
++
+++Hello All:
+++
+++I am hearing that many guys are addeding in another modulation IC, and
+++Modulation transformer to double the audio power, allowing a higher
+++carrier power to be 100% modulated.
+++
+++Jay in the Mojave
++
++
++ ******
++ The carrier in Double Sideband Full Carrier Amplitude Modulation
++ should remain constant during modulation. If not, then you have a far
++ greater problem.
++
++ james
++
++Hello James:
++
++No thats not how AM works. The Modulation increases and decreses the
++amptitude during Modulation. Thats how double sidband full modulation
++works. Look in a old ARRL Book.
++
++
++Jay in the Mojave
+*****
+
+I think you need to go back and reread and comprehend what those old
+ARRL handbooks say. Then m aybe I suggest a good university textbook
+on Communications. Oh by the way you may want to brush up on y our
+Calculus and Differential Equations at the same time.
+
+Whats your damn problem james, does being a pompous ass come natural
+to you?
+

******

Really now. Maybe you should go back and comprehend what told me. I
just responded in a manner that reflected my education and skills. If
that is pompous to you then so be it. But mathematically to truely
understand AM modulation does require a higher level of mathematics
than just adding two plus two.

********
+
+AM(t) = f(t)*cos(wc*t) + A*cos(wc*t)
+
+where AM(t) is your Amplitude modulated signal with respect to time.
+f(t) is the function that mathematically describes the modulating
+frequency.
+wc is the carrier frequency
+t is time
+A is amplitude
+
+Taking the Fourier Transform of the carrier portion (A*cos(wc*t)
+yields an impulse function with amplitude A at frequency wc. The rest
+of the equation is your double sideband suppressed carrier and when
+the Fourier transform of this is taken it will yield a frequency that
+is the audio frequency plus and minus the carrier frequency at
+amplitude of half the audio power.
+
+I hope that this helps in your understanding of what Double Sideband
+Full Carrier Amplitude modulation, more commonly called AM, is.
+
+As long as you understand it, thats all that matters...
+

*****

Yes I very well do!

****
+
+james
+
+Does your formula show that SSB is AM also?

*******

Yes, remove the A*cos(wc*t) term and you have Double Sideband
suppressed carrier. Add a term for a bandpass filter and you will have
single sideband suppressed carrier.

Yes DSB and SSB are AM signals.

james