Old February 24th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John, N9JG

Default 80 m compact loop - progress report

Initially, at least, the loop will be just high enough so that a lawnmower
can get underneath the lowest side of the octagon. It the loop works fairly
well, I might install a 40 foot fiberglass flagpole and suspend the top of
the loop from the top of the flagpole. Supposedly, that might cut down on
some loss due to ground currents.

"Frank's" wrote in message
"John, N9JG" wrote in message
newshGLf.796098$_o.157184@attbi_s71...
This winter I have been working on the design and construction of a
compact loop for 80 meters. The loop will be constructed from 72 ft of
3/4 in copper pipe and will be in the shape of an octagon. The plane of
the loop will be vertical, and the loop will be remotely tuned by a
vacuum variable capacitor coupled to a geared stepper motor.

I have just finished constructing and testing the driver for the stepper
motor. See
http://tinyurl.com/bwobb for pictures and some information about the
system. Constructive comments will be appreciated.

John, N9JG

John, how high above ground is the antenna?

Frank, VE6CB