Old February 25th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

Default 50 Or 75 Ohm Coax For Receive Only Application ?

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Will be putting up a new HF atnenna for Receive-Only, to be used from 30

MHz
on down

Trying to decide on a coax type for the radio to antenna run, about 150
feet.

As some will be buried in soil, want to have a PE jacket.

It appears that when factoring in the PE requirement, and certainly price,

can
do better, apparently, by picking a 75 ohm coax than a 50 ohm one.

My receivers input is, of course, stamped 50 ohm.

In a practical sense, do you experts believe I would see any difference
between
50 or 75 ohm coax for a receive only situation at the 30 MHz and lower
listening freq's (150 foot coax run) ?

For receiving it will not make any differance. Even for transmitting it
will only mater if youare using a 50 ohm swr or power meter and want to read
it directly. Just use almost anyting but rg-58 or rg-59 is fine and those
are not too bad. If you could handle the connection of the noncopper
shield that most of the cable TV 70 ohm rg-6 has, that would probably be
your best bet. Don't even go to the real high grade of the quad shielded
stuff.

While the receiver says 50 ohms, it is doubtful that it is actually 50 ohms
except on a very few frequencies if even then.