Old September 26th 03, 08:13 PM
Peter Dougherty

Walt Davidson said :

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:34:30 -0700, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

The NATO phonetic alphabet was developed in the 1950s to be intelligible
(and pronounceable) to all NATO allies in the heat of battle ........ Although it
consists of English words, its letter codewords
can easily be recognised by speakers of languages other than English.

Except Dutch and Spanish speakers, to whom "golf" is neither
pronounceable nor intelligible! Even "mike" can be problematic at
times.

Heck, I wish I could find some other internationally-recoginsed
phonetic for the letter i . Inmy experience, it's incredibly hard to
get either India or Italy understood under marginal conditions. My
suffix, IRT is usually mangled in contests and DX-peditions. The
"Romeo Tango" bit comes through great, but the "India" gets lost.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net