Old February 28th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Larry Benko

Default 80m mobile antenna question

I have been mobilling for years but never on 80/75m. Getting ready to
build something to mount on my Toyota 4Runner. Given the following
choices I would appreciate some advice. Assume that both my roof mount
and rear trailer mount are "perfect" and will not be the determining factor.

Choice #1:
Mount a 1" or so mast starting at the trailer hitch going vertical for
4.5' and then have the loading coil (which clears the roof line) and
finally a 6.5' whip. Base height is about 2' off the ground and the top
is 13+' off the ground.

Choice #2:
Mount a 1" mast 4' high from the top of the roof, then the loading coil,
and then a 5' whip which is vertical for 2' and then horizontal for 3'.
Base height about 6' and top height about 12.5'.

Choice #2 will have a lower ground loss (good) than choice #1 but choice
#1 being taller will have a higher radiation resistance (good) than
choice #1. For an 80m antenna which of the tradeoffs generally is more
important for an antenna this size?

Thanks,
Larry Benko, W0QE