Old October 8th 03, 06:34 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
(Michael Black) wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" (w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com) writes:
Another real ham goes Silent Key. 73 old man.

Dan/W4NTI

Although, the case could be made that he wasn't a real ham.

Yes, he was an important part of ham radio for some years. But I
always got the impression, and the story suggests the same, that
he was interested in amateur radio beyond communication for
his sailing voyage. It always seemed like once he had that in place
for his own reasons, he discovered amateur radio beyond that. Amateur
radio gave him a reason to wander, because it gave him a reason for
visiting plenty of isolated locations for more of a reason than because
they were there. The fact that he pretty much disappeared after
Yasme was over, not being interested in DXing those exotic locations,
leaves in question how much of a ham he was, his contribution to
the hobby notwithstanding.

One might compare Danny to Gus Browning. The latter started
out in amateur radio at a young age, and went on the tour to put
many countries on the map. But then when that was over, he was
still considered a high power DXer, publishing DX Magazine for many
years.

Michael VE2BVW

First off I don't agreee with these sorts of "categorizations". The
implication here is that you consider Gus a "better ham" than Danny
was and I reject the concept. Categorically. Plus dissing Danny a half
century after he lit up the bands is not exactly a class act Michael.

Danny never made any bones about the intent and purpose of his ham
activities. We kept his boat(s) afloat which was his need and he
shipped the cards which was our need. And there isn't any more to it
than that.

His format has been followed innumerable times since, i.e. hams with
marginal and/or short term interests in the hobby or DXing putting new
ones on the air. If the cards they've sent over the years hit the
no-counters pile your own totals and the Honor Roll membership count
would drop like rocks.

w3rv

Well said.

Dan/W4NTI