Old March 1st 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Default About dipoles and current/voltage nodes

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:19:37 -0600, Bob Bob wrote:

Check the resistor.

One of the first things done. At DC of course. Dont think I ever
replaced it. Was considering playing with it last time but since moving
the frequency also bought it back to normal operating conditon I couldnt
see it as a reason.

Hi Bob,

DC is so remote from the application as to be only an approximation.
There's also the prospects of reactance to consider too. When you say
you can see a frequency dependency, you are almost guaranteeing that
"tuning" has been injected into an otherwise wideband design.

From your position in the company you have two paths:
1. Announce the design is FUBAR, or
2. Find an ad-hoc solution and forget theory because you are in no
position to re-engineer the design.

#2 is a dangerous path to take for the sake of the company's
perspective, although it may be more politic if the design department
is populated with prima-donnas.

#1 will accomplish one of two things, the design will be corrected, or
you will be educated - possibly both. Most designers appreciate
hearing what your experience has revealed. Most of my techs enjoyed
pounding my designs to find the weak seams. One fellow had a small
transistor radio that he would put on top of the microprocessor to
listen to the software running. He could always tell when one of my
patches went south.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC