Old March 2nd 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring

Default need help with H antenna

Jim wrote:

I need help in building an H type of tracking antenna for use around 166-167
mhz. This is for wildlife tracking. I have a couple of handheld 3 element
Yagi's that I built using YagiCad to do the math, and they work well, but
they are big and clunky.

There are times when I am willing to sacrifice the good f/b ratio of the
yagi for convienience, for instance when working in brushy woods. I have
used an H for tracking at 151 mhz, but of course, I can't use that one for
166.

My tracking receiver, a King portable, has a BNC connector, so I can
interchange antennas quickly.

Is there a web page or magazine article that can help me design my H, or can
someone share their experience?

Thanks
Jim

I am assuming you mean a 2 element beam with both elements driven.

If so, I would recommend trying to make a 2 meter version of Roy W7EL's
version of the ZL special. I just messed around with his downloadable
program for 15 minutes and got a reasonable version hacked up for your
frequency. The impedance wasn't perfect, about 1.5 at best and about 3
to 1 SWR +-1.5 MHz, but you are receive only, so that's not a big deal.

Heck, he may notice this response and tell you he's done one and what he
came up with for lengths.

Tom
K0TAR