Old March 2nd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default shortwave reception, february 2006

In article ,
weatherall wrote:

junius Wrote:
Hey, weatherall, we haven't had any review/assessment of the E5 by
anyone in this group yet. What are your impressions of the E5? How
does its performance compare against the 7600GR?

I'm working on it but I have only captured some basic details so far.

Positives:
* E5 with the "wide" setting seems to have clearer audio on shortwave
than the SW7600GR
* Memory system is more intuitive on the E5 due to alphanumeric
labeling and the use of F1-F7 for stations
* E5 has a non-muting tuning knob
* Direct frequency entry on the E5 is very nice; just type the
frequency then the band button (am or fm)

Negatives:
* no sync detect in the E5, so fading is a problem
* E5's narrow setting seems too narrow
* really sucks down batteries (someone in a Yahoo group told me the
Kaito/Degen 1103 does the same)

How is the audio sound quality on the E5 with a good signal and the wide
bandwidth?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California