Old March 2nd 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default pse info balun

Reg Edwards wrote:
Ten or more turns of twin, 18 awg, stranded, speaker cable is even
better.

Easier to make and has higher choke impedance and lower loss.

I don't know why you mess about with coax.

The optimum Z0 for the wire that is used is the square root
of the product of the input impedance and the output impedance.
I vary the length of my ladder-line to accomplish resonance
in my antenna system. The impedances seen at the output of
my balun averages 50 ohms. Thus, the optimum Z0 for my
balun wire is 50 ohms. Magnet wire will do that but speaker
cable won't. Ten turns of RG-400 is really convenient. I use
RG-400 for everything inside of the shack. All the 1/2" dia.
stuff is outside.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp