Old March 5th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Floatything

Default Radio tracking a tortoise - HELP!

wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:20:29 GMT, "Floatything"
wrote:

Every year, Shelly the tortoise gets lost or manages to escape the

garden.
It can take days to find her. I would like to build a locating device so
that I can track her down.
The basic requirements a

a) that the 'transmitter (transponder?) on the tortoise is as small as
possible.

b) that it can be made by an electronics numpty. I have basic soldering
skills, and can eventually work out a circuit diagram.

TIA
Floatything (an escapee from uk.rec.sailing)

You might be interested in this kit from Ten Tec:
http://radio.tentec.com/kits/Accessory it is #1059 which radiates on
the FM broadcast band (88-108 mHz).

Howard

Thanks - that's excellent Howard - it looks just the job. So all I need to
know now are the 'basics of direction finding'.. I presume I need to wave
the aerial about a bit until I get a stronger beep beep? (tell me I'm on the
right track? or is there some magic method to homing in on a beeping
reptile?

Floatything