Old March 6th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gene Fuller

Default Current through coils

Richard,

After that response all I can say is, this newsgroup is sure good for
entertainment.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Richard Harrison wrote:
Roy Lewallen, W7EL wrote:
"Now explain how you`d do it with a box having only two terminals--"

I`ll give the mathematician`s answer: "It`s of no interest. It`s already
been solved." Cecil said he would put a coil in the box. I agree.
Retardation between incident and reflected waves in each direction would
in most cases cause a current difference between the two ends of the
coil. Unlike the usual transmission line, the wire is coiled to get
reactance into a small space. The effect is the same in that phase shift
is distributed along the length of the wire. There is just more of it
and and the intervals between maxima and minima are short. Impedance and
therefore voltage along the vire is a function of site along the wire.
There will be a standing wave pattern throughout the coil.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI