Old March 6th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

Default Outside Antenna

"HFguy" wrote in message
Rikk wrote:
"Rikk" wrote in message

Hi
I am wondering if I have my longwire set correctly, maybe you could
advise please.
At the moment I have a sloping long-wire of about 50 foot, going from the
top of a mast on my house about 35 foot tall to the top of a washing
line post about 12 foot tall. I have connected the lonwire to my radio by
means of CB-coax, what I have done is to attach the centre core of the
coax to the longwire and I have cut the outer sheath on the coax near to
the ground and connected an earhtwire that is soldered to a cold water
main supply pipe as an earth.
Only the centre wire on the coax is connected to the actual longwire.

Is there a way I could do better.

I am thinking about getting an active antenna, the Sony AN-1

Would this work better for me or is there a better alternative available.
I am running an Icom R72
thanks
Rikk

Hi Guys
Thanks all very much for your help, I appreciate your comments, I have
opted to order a balun from a supplier mention on this thread and see how
it goes from there.
I shall also try a few of your other suggestions as they are really
interesting in therory.
As you can probably see, I am relativly new to sw and until now have been
using the SW77 on it's telescopic antenna, but time for me to move
forward a bit, so I will see what I can do with the R72
thanks again
Rikk
United Kingdom

The antenna configuration you have is similar to a 'sloper' design where
one end is higher than the other. To reduce the reception of noise from
appliances in your home, it's better to locate the balun (unun) near the
ground (earth) instead of in the air at the end of the antenna. This means
you should extend the feed end of the antenna to the ground with a single
vertical wire (not coax) and connect that wire to the high impedance input
of the balun. The low impedance output of the balun goes to the coax that
should run on/in the ground to the house. Having the balun and coax near
the ground will allow you to use a short ground wire from the balun to a
ground rod near by. This helps to keep noise off the shield of the coax.
This antenna system (inverted-L) works best if both ends of the horizontal
section are located away from the house. In your case you can make the far
end of the antenna at the wash line pole the feed end with the vertical
wire to the balun near the ground. Instead of having the near end come all
the way to the mast on the house, shorten it about 20-ft and install an
insulator at that end with some nylon rope to the mast. This will keep the
near end of the antenna away from the house, where it could pick up noise.
The vertical wire at the other end will make up for shortening the antenna
at the house end. It will also help to receive signals which arrive at the
antenna from a low angle to the horizon.
My antenna is very similar except I installed a 20-ft metal pole on top of
the wooden clothes line pole to make that end higher above ground. This
also makes the vertical wire longer for better reception.

Thanks very much HF Guy, for your excellent suggestion and easy to follow
instructions.
I am obliged to you
regards
Rikk