Old March 6th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Current through coils

Gene Fuller wrote:
I have lots of flaws, most of them unrelated to RRAA. But a lack of
understanding of fundamental physical laws is not one of them.

Gene, you proved beyond any doubt, during the rest of your posting,
that you even though may quote the fundamental laws, you are
misunderstanding those fundamental laws. I think Richard Harrison
does understand. If you refuse to listen to me, then please listen
to him.

Current is generally accepted as the flow of charge.

Standing wave current is a net charge flow of zero. Standing wave
current is DIFFERENT from traveling wave current. At any and every
point, the standing wave current is NOT moving. Since it is not
moving, there is NO net charge flow. Please read, understand, and
respond to the following simple example and questionai

Lossless Transmission Line, SWR is infinite
Ifor-- 1 amp --Iref 1 amp

1. Is there any net flow of charge? ______

2. Is the current at a current maximum point equal to 2 amps? ______

3. Is the current at a current minimum point equal to 0 amps? ______

4. Is there any net flow of charge between the 2 amp point and the
zero amp point? ________

5. If I replace the 1/4WL section of wire with a 90 degree phase
shifting coil, have I changed very much? _________

6. If the current at one end of that coil is 0 amps and the current
at the other end of that coil is 2 amps, is there any net flow of
charge through the coil? ________

When the current is different at the ends of a simple two terminal
device then the charge flow is different as well.

That is definitely NOT true for standing wave current. There
is ZERO net charge flow for standing wave current. And standing wave
current is exactly what you are measuring in a standing wave antenna
like a 75m mobile antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp