Old March 6th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hallicrafters S-38 lack of sensitivity on the HF bands

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 16:36:00 UTC, "Rod" wrote:

I'm working on a Hallicrafters S-38 and have already recapped the radio
and even changed a few resistors that measured a bit high. I receive
loads of stations on the standard broadcast band, but the radio is not
nearly as sensitive on bands 2, 3, and 4. Anyone have some help with
this one? Perhaps an alignment would do the trick? Or is there
something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am in the process of restoring two S-38's, a B and C model, in fact
just got through painting the case and starting to clean the chassis.
The radio has been recapped, but needs a new power cord. Should you
replace old cloth covered wires with modern wires also? I am new to
this so pardon my ignorance of the radios. I used to have one when I
was in jr. high and high school and wanted one for the nostalgia.
What else should one look for on the chassis to replace or
clean/replace?
Thanks

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"