Old March 7th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P

Default FYI - positive crystal vendor experience "plug"

I had the occasion today to look for a 38.660 Mhz crystal for a Hamarlund
HX50. So I called ICM http://www.icmfg.com/contact.html and pushed "0" to
get around the button madness. A "receptionist" answered and I asked for
help in ordering a proper crystal. The conversation went something like
this:

She questioned me at to what it was for. I said an oscillator.

This receptionist began to ask deeper and deeper questions. Until I told
her it was for a Hammarlund HX50 Heterodyne oscillator.

She said, "Let me see.....what frequency do you need?"

"38.660 MHz"

"MMmm that is a third harmonic......", "Yes we have that Hammarlund HX-50
crystal. It is a third harmonic and is $19.95 and can ship on March 28th."

"You don't sound like a receptionist to me. "

"We dont have one. I am in sales........25 years........."

They apparently handle and welcome armature radio crystal orders. I could
have sent the engineering department an oscillator circuit (but they already
had the HX-50 documentation and many more) so they could help select a
proper crystal.

Now I am no crystal oscillator expert. So I greatly appreciate this
companies friendly help! If this crystal restores the output of the
heterodyne oscillator to its former frequency and amplitude I will be
ordering more.

If you call ask for Barbara ex249 and mention you saw this. No, I get no
remuneration of any kind. This was just a very welcome and timely
experience!!

Paul
kb3lzp
I have no fiscal interest in this company. Only a 20 buck debt so far and
the wife asking how much did you put on the card now?