Old March 8th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default Opinions on Eton E5/Sangean ATS-505 or PT80

In article ,
weatherall wrote:

Duper Wrote:
Hello, this is my first post. I have recently purchased an Eton E10 and
like it very much. My choices for new radios is rather limited here in
Ottawa, Canada as there are not many local retailers carrying shortwave
radios.

Why not use mailorder?

Radiointel.com is a great site for shortwave receiver reviews. Many of
their reviews point out the similarities and differences with other
radios in the same class. eham.net also has lots of user-submitted
reviews.

I have an E5, and I got it from universal-radio.com in mid-February. I
like it except for the lack of sync detect to combat fading signals.
The tuning knob is really nice in the shortwave bands, the ssb is clear
(unlike the Kaito 1102 where the ssb is a bit warbled), and the
operation of the station memories is quite intuitive. But it is
expensive considering the features it doesn't have.

I bought most of my radios from Universal. Whether you want to buy from
them or not here is a link comparing the features of 17 models Grundig,
Sangean, Sony and Kaito.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/chartp.html

With that link you can find all the portables that have the features you
want. Then look up your choices for reviews on the web.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California