Old March 8th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
David Shrader

Default new kenwood?

Noon-Air wrote:

SNIPPED a lot

What kinds of rigs/stations did the rest of you *start* with??
What do you think that *most* young prospective HAMs would be able to handle
to get into the hobby??

-n6ojn

A Heathkit AT-1, 15 watts, crystal controlled on 80/40/20/10, used on 80
and 40 CW Novice band in the early 1950s. Receiver was a National SW-54.
Antenna was 120 feet of TV twin lead using a small home made tuner [made
by my Elmer]. [Total cost $65].

On my first weekend I earned the WATV award :-)

On my second weekend I earned the MLL Award :-)

On the third weekend I earned the OTA award.

On the fourth weekend my Elmer responded to my awards with corrective
action.

Praise the Lord for Elmer [Ralph Tedford, [W1GID ?] SK]

Subsequently, been on the air for 50+ years.