Old March 8th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ?

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:32:23 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:59:22 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In summery, in my opinion, a pre-selector would be a good bet to improve
portable reception when connected to an external antenna especially the
worse case single conversion units. Following that in usefulness would
be an antenna tuner. People chasing DX with tabletop units might want to
try antenna tuners where less useful for them would be pre-selector use.

And, I would pre-sume the "pre-amp" is different from the
pre-selector?

bob
k5qwg

A receiver pre-amp can get the signal (and noise) above the AGC
threshold so at least the volume will be constant. A pre-amp between
the antenna and the transmission line can keep the cable from
attenuating the signal too much. However, at HF frequencies, line
losses are for the most part inconsequential.