Old March 9th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wes Stewart

Default Current through coils

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:51:48 GMT, "Cecil Moore"
wrote:

"Wes Stewart" wrote
if you go he

http://www.k6mhe.com/n7ws

and look at either Note 1 or 2 and then look at figures 1 and 2 this
might change your mind about the current distribution.

Nobody is disputing the current rise through a coil. In fact, I have
been pointing it out. The coil does distort the current away from
the nice cosine envelope of a 1/2WL thin wire dipole.

Why do you persist at doing this?

My post was in response to someone else and you feel it necessary to
jump in with the same old bafflegab.

Your graphs show standing wave current which doesn't flow. (Its
phase angle doesn't rotate.) Therefore, the magnitude of the standing
wave current can be any value depending upon where it is located in
the system. Wes, please take a look at http://www.qsl.net/qrzgif35.gif
to find out why standing wave current can have any value and is thus
unimportant. EZNEC plots the current in much the same way that
you have. So are the EZNEC results wrong and yours right? The
fact is that a standing wave current plot is close to meaningless.
Why are we continuing to discuss standing wave current?

Well, I certainly hope that EZNEC plots the current the same. If you
would have read all that I wrote in the reference, you would have see:

"The models were "built" using MultiNEC invoking EZNEC 3.0 (now 4.0)
or double-precision NEC-2 as the calculating engines. The following
graphics were all generated with MultiNEC."

Among the other nice things that MultiNEC does is interface to many
other analysis programs, EZNEC being my preferred one, and gives some
other ways to present -the same data- in other forms. The data in the
figures are EZNEC-calculated-data.

Clearly, you were too busy trying to frame an argument to actually
read what I wrote.

What we need to plot is the forward traveling wave current and
the reflected traveling wave current which are the two components
of your standing wave current graphs. Do you have any simulation
software that will plot the forward current and reflected current?
Nobody is going to understand what is really happening until we
get a plot of those two component waves or at least an estimated
graph of the underlying superposed currents.

"We" need to plot no such thing. You may have such a need; I do not.

In fact, how about your best estimate of a graph of forward and
reflected currents through the coil including phase shifts? Only
then are you likely to understand what we are talking about..

If "we" includes you and me, I will never understand what "we" are
talking about, although I am pretty sure what "I'm" talking about.

Now, I've got to get back to something important; building a playhouse
for my granddaughter.