Old March 10th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dale Parfitt

Default Dipole Extension

"Dick, AA5VU" wrote in message
In article ,
John Ferrell wrote:

The 1/2 wave difference on 40M of 7.2 and 7.1mhz is only about a foot.
The change in a DIPOLE at 40M would be difficult to measure.

I would not change it.
Do you have an indication that it needs adjustment?

John,

When i trimmed it the first time (years ago) I was working mostly SSB so
it is great in phone band and okay in the old Novice portion. I am now
working mostly 40 meter RTTY and PSK and these are at 7.070 and 7.035.

The current antenna shows SWR of about 1:8 at 7.100 and goes up to
2:0 at 7.050. My TS-570S tuner makes the rig smile but I feel it would
be better if I could extend it a bit.

The problem is there is no wrapped back wire that I could let out and
hate to use a jumper extender at the loading coil.

I may have to just bit the bullet and cut some wire per the formulas by
Steve, K9DCI, and solder it in the middle some place.

Still thinking about it. The WX in South Texas is too nice for antenna
work. I will probably put it off until the WX is bad.

73, Dick AA5VU

I am not familair with this antenna, but if it has a choke/trap for 40M,
just add a foot of wire on the side of the choke/trap that is closest to the
center insulator- let it hang down and dangle. You can clip it on as one
poster said- this is a high Z point and contact resistance is a non-issue.
But as others have said, the on-air difference is zero.

Dale W4OP