Old March 11th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Marty

Default Armature radio's threat from within

"Cosmo" wrote in message
u...
I'm currently listening to 7.070Mhz. The time is 19:20EDT

I find the operations by some licensed amateurs and perhaps a pirate
station
is just appalling. Operators and I use the word loosely, making threats at
each other, whistling over each other and discussing tracking operators
down
to sort them out!
It sounded like the 27Mhz CB band back in the mid seventies.

[SNIP]
..
I also believe that the looming threat to this great hobby come from
within
as mach as from outside forces, and there fore suggest that something akin
to intruder watch be applied to monitoring amateur operations as I think
the
authorities response will be that we need to self regulate.

It's also very hard to "self-regulate" and sort out the problem operators
when the regulator doesn't even give a damn anymore..

I know it isn't Amateur band, but a recent episode on the UHF CB emergency
channel where an 'emergency monitor' responded to a brief button pusher with
the comment "some dickheads have no ****ing brains...." obtained a response
from ACMA that such operation was not considered offensive or wrong...
Maybe not on many local repeaters, but how many people expect a torrent of
abuse from an emergency monitor on the emergency channels??

I've said this before and I will keep saying it - no matter what band we are
talking about the amount of abuse and morons will continue to increase while
ever the rest of the operators feel it is someone else's problem to deal
with it... No doubt there are some new F calls, just like there were some
new H calls a few years ago, that don't operate within what many consider
"acceptable practices", but there are also a lot of others that do the same
and until the majority of the operators are willing to stand up and either
educate the relevant operators, OR, petition the ACMA and/or WIA to take
action and make necessary changes, the problem will continue.

I know from experience how quickly the ACMA can act on a complaint when they
want to, and how they can quickly and easily solve the problem. The trouble
is that nobody, or not enough, seem willing to get involved and help in the
"self-regulate" procedure, which basically means that if a gentle talking to
doesn't help (or the problem is far too serious), that the relevant
information and evidence be handed to the ACMA with an official complaint.

Perhaps the WIA does indeed need to look at a modified form of "intruder
watch" that would encourage amateurs (not just WIA members) to "dob in"
problem operators and then the WIA takes the matter to ACMA to help ensure
something actually gets done. After all, they are "our bands" and while
ever we are willing to tolerate such behaviour the ACMA is not likely to
care less - if that results in a downturn in numbers or sever misuse of the
bands, then that's a bonus to ACMA as they then get more spectrum to sell
off!!!

Cheers

Martin, VK2UMJ

flame-protective suit on