Old September 28th 03, 02:19 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:29:50 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:14:06 -0700, Jack Twilley
wrote:

Most online references are very vague, so I'm just going to
experiment. I was hoping, though, that someone could direct me to a
useful reference. I have an PDF of an old QST article which says that
W7EL has a table in the Antenna Handbook. A friend of mine has a copy
of the Antenna Handbook, but she may have lost it in the move.

Any suggestions? Right now, I'm going to experiment with different
values and see what I can discover, but it can't hurt to hear about
what others have done.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Do an advanced search in Google for this newsgroup using the keywords
Choke, and W7EL which would bring up a several dozen hits easily and
at least a couple could fill in the gaps with that table.

The ARRL Handbook as well as the ARRL Antenna book also have
information on them.

The ones I've seen use roughly an 8 inch diameter coil with the turns
varying to suit the lowest frequency covered.

I know one of them has a rule of thumb for the number of turns and I
don't remember how many turns I've used in the past, but "I think" I
may have used about 6 or 8 turns for 20 meters. "As I recall" (please
note all the weasel words so don't take the numbers for specifics) It
takes about 40 feet of cable wound up in the 8 inch diameter coil for
160 meters.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC