Old March 11th 06, 04:05 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

Default Basic Scanner with CTCSS Decode

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 04:05:53 GMT, Bill Powell wrote:

Need
- CTCSS per channel decode. One tone per channel is OK
Unit must NOT stop on a busy channel just because it's busy
- VHF Low, High and UHF
- Mobile / base form factor

Would Like
- Alphanumeric display
- Programming AND control via PC

That limits you to Uniden.

DON'T Need/want
- Handheld
- Trunking

You're going to get it, though.

It will be used in a high level RF environment (LOS to 8
commercial/public safety/ham towers) so I suspect that I'll have to
add some external filtering

Motorola G-strips for VHF-lo and VHF-hi. Maybe something like a
U44BBT for UHF. You'd have to add a lot of circuitry to make them
scanners, though.

Scanners have barn doors for front ends. If you want to use a scanner
get used to the fact that you're going to receive lots of intermod in
that environment. You either get a good receiver or you get a scanner
- no one makes a scanner with a G-strip front end, and no one ever
will.

but a receiver with some front-end selectivity to start with
(electronically tuned filter) would be great.

The kind of filter you'd need would cost more than a scanner.

Sometimes, you *can't* get there from here.