Old March 11th 06, 11:43 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Jim

Default Armature radio's threat from within

"Cosmo" wrote in message
u...
I'm currently listening to 7.070Mhz. The time is 19:20EDT

I find the operations by some licensed amateurs and perhaps a pirate
station
is just appalling. Operators and I use the word loosely, making threats at
each other, whistling over each other and discussing tracking operators
down
to sort them out!
It sounded like the 27Mhz CB band back in the mid seventies.

I can remember when amateurs took pride in their operating practices and
gentlemanly behaviour. If this what it is to become why would anyone be
attracted to the hobby unless perhaps they are an ignorant thugs. It
appears
to me and I know I will be condemned for this, but we seem to have
accepting
lower standards in more ways than we expected.

I believe that simply ignoring these operating practices and these
operators
will allow segments of the bands to become no go ghettos. A completely
unacceptable and un-Australian outcome.
I also believe that the looming threat to this great hobby come from
within
as mach as from outside forces, and there fore suggest that something akin
to intruder watch be applied to monitoring amateur operations as I think
the
authorities response will be that we need to self regulate.

I am offering this observation for discussion and we be keen to see what
others think!

Cheers

Peter VK3YSF

Fact. You don't need an amateur license to purchase and illegally use
tranceivers.

Fact. Self regulation without enforceable consequences doesn't work, either
in amateur radio or elsewhere.

Fact. Operating and technical standards have nosedived among many new
amateurs compared to 30 years ago. People don't generally respect and covert
what they haven't worked their tails off for.

Opinion. AR appears to be largely irrelevant to Australian society and its
instrumentalities. Apart from some noticeable occasions when amateurs
assisted in emergencies, it always has been just a hobby pursued by a group
of wierd misfits. (myself included We were geeks before the word was
invented. The difference is that today many in the ranks have no idea that
AR was once the hobby of gentlemen, kings and politicians. It was a level
playing field where one respected someone because they had been through the
same hoops, irregardless of social standing, money or power. But that's all
apparently ancient history.

Now AR is the playground for all. No more amateurs code, it's all F#$% you
mate!
Society has unfortunately changed. It's become personal. Me first, second
and third. Get outta my way and show me the bottom line.It's all about the
money. The revolution appears to have erased the words "respect" and
"tolerance".

Question. There used to be an advisory committee composed of amateurs who
sat down with the ACA and decided what action if any to take against
amateurs who stepped over the line. I wonder if such mechanisms still exist
? If they don't then perhaps they should.

Conclusion. Two years ago I had a very public battle with several amateurs
and would be amateurs who accused me of doing a "chicken little" i.e.
yelling "the sky is falling the sky is falling!".

It may not have fallen. But I would suggest that it may be very close to the
ground.

Cheers
Jim
VK4BBG