Old March 12th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

Default Vertical vs Horizontal shootout part 1.5

Okay, all.

I rand a multi-band check on my s-meter.

The results a (with the previous 80 meter test included.

80 meter

+20 start
S9 -18 db
S8 -23 db
S7 -26 db
S6 -29 db
S5 -32 db
S4 -35 db
S3 -37 db
S2 -39 db
S1 -41 db

40 meter

+20 start

S9 -18 db
S8 -22 db
S7 -25 db
S6 -28 db
S5 -31 db
S4 -34 db
S3 -36.5 db
S2 -38.5 db
S1 -41 db

30 meter

+20 start

S9 -19 db
S8 -23 db
S7 -27 db
S6 -31 db
S5 -34 db
S4 -36 db
S3 -39 db
S2 -41 db
S1 -43 db

20 meter

+20 start

S9 -19 db
S8 -22 db
S7 -26 db
S6 -30 db
S5 -34 db
S3 -38 db
S2 -41 db
S1 -50 db

There is no doubt that the readings are different, and significantly in
some cases. I will give a calibration of the meter for each band that I do.
Lesson learned here is that the meter should be calibrated to do this
test, IMO. Yes, it is true that on any given band the readings are going
to be relative to each other. But it is inevitable that questions will
arise about the relative efficiency of my antennas by band, as both are
multi-band antennas.

Part 2 to follow soon.......

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -