Old September 28th 03, 03:58 AM
mike

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:33:47 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

Hi Mike,

Noisy? Only listening can tell. There is nothing terribly important
about antennas except they be as high as possible and long in
proportion to the longest wavelength (tenth wavelength would be
bordering on pretty small, one wavelength bordering on getting large -
notice there's a lot of latitude between). If you notice the presence
or absence of the CB antenna, I would suspect you must have a mighty
small roof.

No one ever stops at one design. You are the first example of that
with your comment about two. No one stops at two either. If they
did, they sure don't post here (and you, again, provide yet another
example of that verity). The reason being is that you can't tell what
you've done unless you can compare it (and it hardly pays to take
someone else's word without testing ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hey Richard,

Well the random wire has been a huge improvement over the indoor coax
loops (Got 3 of those BTW) both in terms of signals and noise
reduction. Course with that metal roof, I am sure you can understand
why.

Last evening while trying to hastily install a length of wire as a
psuedo sloper (for comparison purposes), I Lost a coax connector on
the random wire where it enters the second floor window. That was it
for the random wire as the coax went sailing off the porch and out
onto the lawn, he,he.

Anyway, I found a north pointing length of wire sloping off the house
is totaly useless here in New England. But we are taking about 1/3
less wire at a random length. (with an antenna tuner)

Needless to say the radom wire outperformed the sloper except for RCI
which was unusually clear last night. So, I kept the psuedo sloper up
and just connected the end of it to the random wire as it ended where
the random began. Total length is now 30 meters or so. grin

I probably should be reasonably happy with what I have going as it
really is quiet and pulls in quite a few stations. I even managed to
get the average height up a tad more.

However, like most SWL's, I feel compelled to install something that
pulls in even more.

Enter Alpha Delta

mike