Old March 12th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default The Next Step - The Low Noise Inverted "L" {Random Wire} Antenna - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ?

In article ,
wrote:

On 12 Mar 2006 01:08:39 -0800,
wrote:

Hey, you asked for opinions in your first post
of the thread. If you don't like my opinions, thats
too bad. An antenna is an antenna is an antenna.
Do you think when I switch from a SWL to a ham band,
I need to switch antenna types? LOL...You guys kill me..
MK

Well how can your receiver work with an antenna made for transmit 8-}

Basically (theoretically) an antenna made for transmit is just as
suitable for receive. This is called reciprocity.

This concept falls apart two ways in practicality:
1. The transmit situation has to handle power the receive situation does
not so for transmit the antenna elements need to be "beefier."
2. A less than full size antenna made resonant may work very well for
transmit but for receive not as well. Less than full size for receive
lowers the antenna efficiency.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California