Old March 13th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod

Default Safety ground versus RF ground for a 2nd Floor shack

wrote:
There is absolutely no reason to have an RF ground unless:

1.) You are end feeding a single wire antenna that is brought into the
shack

2.) The two conductor feedline you have brought in, be it coax or open
wire, is connected to an antenna that is not properly designed or
installed

The safety ground is required. The RF ground is a band-aid for
something else being wrong.

73 Tom

Tom,

If we assume that there is a well matched antenna: twin line to balun,
coax to transceiver. My RF concern was that a long line to ground would
serve as an antenna to bring RF into shack. If this is not the case, or
if this is easily dealt with, great.

The mains box is on the opposite side of the house...that ground is not
conveniently located.

My coax will go thru a lightening arrestor (Polyphase) which will be
earth grounded. If I run a low gauge wire from that earth ground to the
main box ground, then this is prevents ground loop? What if the
distance to the mains box is 60 feet?

John