Old March 14th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt

Default RTV Silicone And Coax Outer Jacket: Safe ?

In article ,
Larry Benko wrote:

Bob,

Go to h

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/et..._aas_1ptov.asp

for just about everything you would ever want to know. We use several
grades of electronics RTVs at work in contact with coaxial cable jackets
and all kinds of components to meet DO-160E vibration requirements for
airplave use. The stuff we use does not have the characteristic acetic
acid smell which I think is actually stearic acid.

According to the labels I've read, much of the consumer-grade RTV does
in fact release acetic acid as it cures. Not good stuff to use around
electronics or other metals.

The noncorrosive, "moisture cure" or "neutral cure" RTVs are a better
choice for use around electronics. The ones marketed as "electronics-
grade" are the surest bet in this regard, and usually need to be
mail-ordered. A possible compromise would be the consumer-grade RTVs
which are specifically advertised as being noncorrosive for use on
metals - the labels on these say that they release methanol and
ammonia during cure.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO