Old March 14th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

Default RTV Silicone And Coax Outer Jacket: Safe ?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:59:34 -0500, "Robert11" sent
into the ether:

Hello:

Is it safe to use the typical GE RTV silicones against a Polyethylene (PE)
coax outer jacket ?

I know the RTV's use some type of acid (acetic ?) to cure the stuff, and I
was wondering if
anyone might have any first hand experience if there is any kind of
interaction with a coax outer jacket ?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
I have been using GE 1200 on coax and connectors since the early
seventies and have never had a problem with it affecting good silver
plated or cheap connectors or the varying grades of coax I have used.
If you want to be fussy cover the connector with electrical tape and
then cover with silicone. This makes it easier to remove but is not
necessary for protecting the connector or the coax. I would not use
it inside of a radio or other electronic equipment but outside of that
it will not hurt and will keep the connection free of moisture, BTW,
if you do wrap it with tape first be sure to coat the coax past the
tape to ensure a good waterproof seal.

N9JBF

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!