Old March 14th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson

Default RTV Silicone And Coax Outer Jacket: Safe ?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:14:29 -0800, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

The advice to avoid acetic-acid smelling RTV because of corrosion is
passed along from person to person like an urban legend, but like an
urban legend it's just about impossible to find anyone who's actually
seen any corrosion result from its use. (A number of queries I've made
over the years has produced just one, using a very early version of RTV.)

[snip]

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

HI Roy,

I have been using a different product for over a decade that works
great - liquid vinyl tape. It does a heck of a job for sealing
water-tight connections and, like RTV, doesn'g get hard and crack.
You can buy it a most hardware stores.

Its easy to use and, like was suggest earlier in this thread, I first
wrap the connection with regular vinyl tape (a single layer) before
appling the liquid compond - its makes for much easier removal when
needed.

73
Danny