Old December 1st 03, 04:46 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Dee D. Flint wrote:
- Worked Iceland, Tunisia and the Faroe Islands. This is the first time
EVER that I've heard any of them on the air in any mode. And worked the
Iceland station on a 10 meter band that was largely closed down at the time.
Also worked several other new countries for me.

Nice catches!

Never heard the Faroes. (I've worked them before but didn't hear 'em in
this contest) Iceland is a particularly tough path, one which I didn't
work on 10 this year. (did get 'em on 15 and 20)

It goes to show that the most interesting DX happens on the bands that
you don't think are open!

- Worked the Russians over the pole and yes they are good. I was amazed at
what they could pull out but I didn't do too bad either to pull them out.
Here in Michigan, their signals were very distorted.

Likewise here, regarding the distortion. One has to expect that. I
think that's part of the appeal - the Russians *sound like DX*. Unlike
the 30-over-9 German stations who sound like they might be in the next
stategrin.

Of course the lowlights
- Stations that seem to be deaf. They are hitting you at 10 over 9 but
can't seem to hear you at all.

A lot of this is QRM. If the frequency was clear on their end, they'd
log you immediately. But there's someone within your skip zone (or
5,000 miles the other side of the DX) trying to steal their frequency,
and they can't hear your 569 signal over the 599+20 QRM.

Doesn't make it any less frustrating on this end!

Although I only worked 114 stations, I had a great time. I wish my CW were
stronger as some of those stations were incredibly FAST. At least one of
them was going at not less than 40wpm and I'm only good to about 20. But
one can catch the call sign one letter at a time if need be.

Yep, especially in this contest one can!

Please call anyway. Send "QRS PSE" if you feel it's necessary. Many of
us ultra-high-speed folks will happily slow down for an extra QSO,
especially on Sunday afternoon!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66