Old March 14th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Coslo

Default new kenwood?

Dave Platt wrote:

It'd be interesting to see sorts of HF rigs might be build around a
modulator based on some of today's cellphone chip cores and IP...
direct conversion, high-performance I/Q phasing modulators, and so
forth. More work up front, but (potentially) a lot lower per-unit
incremental cost once you get into volume production.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the size of the market would justify
the investment, needed to create the sort of radio which you feel
could help maintain and increase the size of the amateur-radio market
in the way that you'd like :-(

Bingo! If I want a basic radio, I can go to a flea market and pick up
some nice simple stuff. When I buy a new radio, I want features and good
ergonomics to go along with them. That is what the market has turned into.

At Dayton last year, I picked up a 80 and 40 meter version of the
Single Sidebanders for 20 bucks for one, and 25 for the other. Both
worked fine. Just about any kid would have the money for that. Wasn't
State of the art, but 200 watts on SSB, and a cheap wire antenna can get
a person on the air CHEAP!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -