Old March 15th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art

Default Yagi Antenna Question

Please allow me to describe the antenna I was talking about which is
"similar" to a dish for HF. It obviously is not a dish but it has the
appearance of a dish as it has no directors as it were
but multi reflectors.The reflectors tho straight are not in line but
form a parabolic shape behind a driven dipole. Using this as a
illustrative model it shows that
(a) multiple "reflectors" can be used to advantage and it some cases
can be shorter than the driven element thus illustrating that element
length does not determine reflector versus director.
And (b) it also illustrates how the primary radiated beam can be
lowered versus a yagi with the driver at the same height.
And (c) that a single reflector is not always the best choice
My intention was to describe an array that looked like a dish
physically but illustrated how multi reflectors can replace multi
directors to advantage. I apologise that I used the word "simulate"
when comparing it to a dish but as you can see I was describing what
had the "appearance" of a dish is actually an array which I used as a
illustrative model to describe or emphasise that element length,
position etc with the terms director and reflector
can mislead and it is always better to stay with the generated fields
aproach.
It was not my intention to bring true dishes into the post
Art
Art