Old March 16th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Default Modeling question

Hi Frank/Arie

Not really knowing what I was doing grin I tried EK and got the same
bad average gain figure.. I also removed most of the lower part of the
mast since its effect will be fairly minimal. No help there either.

Tnxs for your comments gents. There is still the two questions though;

- Does one bother to model in a "curved" wire for copper pipe joiners? I
note Mr Cebik didnt mention it when he was talking about J poles on 2m.

- Is the diameter of the source wire important?

Thinking now about reducing the copper pipe diameter simply so I can
model it properly. Then again its a pretty broad design and tuning would
be easy...

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Frank's wrote:
Not sure if "EK" will help much here since the "wire" diameter is
lambda/100. Seems to be a borderline case for a wire grid model. It is
like building a 20m dipole from 10" diameter pipe.

Also noticed the pole touches the ground, which is not allowed in NEC2.
Don't understand why it does not produce a warning. Usually when I connect
a wire to a non-perfect ground the ground grid turns purple (NEC-Win Pro),
and I get crazy results, but not in this case. Not that this is relevant in
this model.