Old July 18th 03, 03:49 AM
Richard Harrison

Snarf wrote:
"Without sounding like too much of a wise guy, please explain the single
pulse generated during the single electromagnetic pulse generated during
a nuclear or other type of large explosion."

Can`t shed much light though my posting was referenced above.

Had a course in "Non-Sinusoidal Waveforms" 50-some years ago. It
included finding sinusoidal constituents of various waveforms. A single
bang event can excite resonances which decline a certain percentage of
the remaining energy with each cycle. These are called damped
oscillations. These can be generated by simply opening a switch.

But, I am ignorant of neuclear physics. Surely someone in this group has
studied what makes lightning strike when an A-bomb detonates. All
Hiroshima and Nagasaki meant to me was that I might soon be going home.
I soon got to walk through Nagasaki before coming home. EMP was almost
the least of the targets` problems. Over a large area, about all that
was left standing were "fireproof" safes. Nagasaki`s 1940 population was
252,630. Its 1946 population was 174,141. The bomb dropped on August 9,
1945. We thought the Japs richly deserved what they got, and we all
cheered when we heard the news. The life saved may have been my own. The
bombs saved many more Japanese lives than they took.

The amazing thing is that the Japs hesitated after Hiroshima and the
second bomb had to be dropped. It is tragically like the old Jack Benny
joke when the mugger demands: "Come on now, your money or your life,
what`s it going to be?" Benny replies: "I`m thinking, I`m thinking!"

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI