Old March 17th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default BBC Programs Heard on DC-area FM stations.

junius wrote:
John S. wrote:

BBC is a regular on public radio and television and I find it to be a
good addition to the news programming already available on those
stations. Clearly it displaces other content, but whether local,
national or international programming that was displaced would be hard
to determine. British programming has been a regular on public radio
and television since the early days. I hope Pitts is not lamenting the
availability of high quality dramatic programming of non U.S. origins
as well. I see news from BBC as adding to the already wide range of
programming on public radio and television.

I agree. Overall, I have been quite happy with WETA's shift to an all
news/talk format w/substantial portions consisting of BBC programming.
I gotta say, though, that, in my opinion, the World Have Your Say
program isn't really up to BBC standards.

I guess some classical music fans have been the main losers in WETA's
content overhaul. For classical fare, my tendency was always to tune
to WGMS, anyway. Admittedly, I miss the program of medieval &
classical liturgical music that used to air on WETA at 10pm on Sunday
nights. For me, that one program was the real loss...

Yes, there have been some notable losses on local public radio. I was
a long time fan of Dick Cerri, but his folk program was dropped quite a
while ago. Still glad to hear Hot Jazz Saturday Night and Thistle and
Shamrock. I certainly understand that a mix of programs from 20 years
ago may not attract as many listeners today and I'm willing to live
with the changes. Overall their programming is still top notch.