Old March 18th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

Default decoders

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 14:23:34 GMT, wrote:

to get a discussion going on writing some command line decoders
that will take the input from my soundcard and output the characters
for something like ACARS, TTY etc.

Grab an old TTY decoder program and you'll see how it's done ...
pretty trivial, really. The rough part (for me, at least, since I've
never tried it) is getting the sound card to tell you which frequency
it's hearing. But once you have the digital train decoding ASCII is
no job at all (0100 0001 is upper case A - no "decoding" needed), and
decoding Baudot isn't much more complicated (keep the current shift
state in a boolean and look up the character in a table).