Old December 21st 03, 05:32 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Bill Turner wrote:
Don't be so quick to criticize people who call on the DX's frequency.
There are a few programs which one could have running in the background
that can inadvertently turn off the split function. I have had this
happen to me a couple of times and been called a lid by the Kilocycle
Kops. I'm not, but they're welcome to their opinion.

Once this happens a time or two, most ops will figure it out, but until
they do, put the blame where it belongs: Poorly written software.

One might argue that if one's software is turning off the split mode,
one needs to stop running that software, at least while calling
split-frequency DX. If my rig radiates a T4 signal with spurs every
1KHz, should I keep calling the DX because it's the only rig I've got --
or should I be fixing my rig?

Not that that justifies the screams of "UP LID" on top of the DX when
one makes that error. The "UP" stations are causing far more QRM than
the stations that inadvertently fail to engage split.

One that really bothers me is when the DX is working split but not
saying so. When each QSO ends with simply "TU" - no callsign, no
indication they're listening up. Often 10, 15 QSOs or more before they
ID and indicate they're listening up. It's not at all unusual for such
a pileup to collect 5-6 good DXers calling the DX on his own frequency -
and then a handful of "UP" stations.

(inevitably, when the DX does ID and indicate he's listening up, you
can't hear him because of the QRM from the "UP" stations!)

Apparently if you find your own DX, you're a lid. (instead of letting
the Cluster do it, so you can read the DX station's call and listening
frequency on the Internet)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66