Old March 20th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Skyrider

Default Hallicrafters S-20R alignment

I am having a problem aligning an S 20R. The receiver has just been
re-capped, however the problem I have been having was present before
the set was touched. (The set just has much better sensitivity and the
transformer runs cooler now). The problem I have been having is this:
When I try to align on band 3 (the only band which gives problems) the
closest I can bring it to proper alignment puts 7 Mhz at around 7.5 or
so on the dial, and 10 MHz at about 12 Mhz on the dial. I cannot bring
the dial tracking any closer than this. The other bands seem OK. I
have checked the wiring against a parts receiver and do not see any
problems. I verified that the oscillator is 455kHz above the received
frequency by checking a known working S 20R (which I have owned for 36
years). There does not appear to be any problem with the
trimmer/padder caps or the coil.

Any ideas???