Old March 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gary Schafer

Default vert vs dipole gut comparison

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:15:00 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

ml wrote:
hi

i am pondering this again after thinking the odds of being about to put
a beam up are slim

currently i have a nice dipole CF horiz via a topside sgc , i am happy
w/it

i think i might be able to get a verticle (all bander) up there but then
i wonder

overall if it would really pay from just a performance point of view

the reviews i see i personally average as some signals would prob come
in bettter on one and some signals the other 'depending'

And HOW!
I've been running some experiments comparing the two, and frankly have
been having some problems simplifying the experiment enough to make good
sense and be valid at the same time.

Some times the vertical works better, and sometimes the horizontal
works better. I'm having a heck of a time correlating exactly *why and
when* (I'm not the only one - some Dutch amateurs got some surprising
results when they tried to decipher what would be the best antenna to
use in the PA contest. Some signals predicted to come in Groundwave were
coming in Skywave, and vice versa - this was covered in a recent QST)

What I have seen from my experiments has led me to believe that the
answer to "dipole vs Vertical is an emphatic, no question about it one
answer only - YES!

You want both antennas if you can do it. Anyone who declares one or the
other the winner is simply wrong.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

I did some tests a couple of years ago on 10 meters between vertical
and horizontal on an 1800 mile path. It seems that there is quite a
bit of rotation in polarity of the signal from minute to minute. I
tried right and left hand circular to confirm that it was rotation.

73
Gary K4FMX