Old March 21st 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Andersson

Default Antenna Height?

Ron J wrote:

Hello and greetings all,

I borrowed a field strength measurement equipment from the school lab.
I wanted to measure the the field strength of a low power FM
transmitter. I was told that I need to setup the antenna height
correctly. I didn't think of this. I thought all I need is the proper
antenna length and polarization for measurement. Can anyone give me
some insight regarding using the proper antenna height? Thank you.

Ron,

You need to tell what antenna type it is first.
Some antennas need to be 1/4 of a wavelength up in the air to work properly,
other types maybe 1/2 wavelength up.
Is it a vertikal, dipole or what...

Many antennas develops a high angle of rtadiation when close to the ground
and after you mounted the antenna at the correct height, a totally
different radiation pattern develops.

So there are no simple answer to your question Ron, not without more
information.

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI