Old March 21st 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Percival P. Cassidy

Default West Mountain Radio PWRgate -- What's inside?

On 03/20/06 10:26 pm Robert Kubichek wrote:

Anybody opened up one of these PWRgate devices to see what's inside?

What diodes are they using? I can't find any 80A Schottky diodes in
the Mouser catalog.

Does it consist of any more than two diodes, a resistor for the
float-charge capability, the connectors and the heatsink?

I would guess that it is 2 Schottky rectifiers back to back, with an
additional resistor-diode across the pair to keep a float charge on the
battery.....

The 203CNQxxx series from International rectifier comes to mind in this
application, as basically it is one modual that is surface mounted...

Do a search for PWRgate, and go from there. You SHOULD be able to brew
your own
from the info found....

That's why I was asking. But why were you suggesting 200A diodes? I find
that Newark has the 80A International Rectifier ones (and 80A is what
WMR says is the rating of the diodes they are using) in stock, cheaper,
and with a lower voltage drop. (I guess that Mouser for some reason
simply doesn't handle IR products.)

"Perce" (aka Alan NV8A)