Old January 21st 04, 02:43 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

David L Thompson wrote:
All I want is to have a chance to work SSB DX on 40. Dxpeditions usually
listen up (those who say QRM is too much will not wash!!!). Many of us use
beams and quads so we can make it through. All Dx stations (rare and semi
rare) should give some time to working USA on 40 SSB split up. Otherwise
someone will propose that we be able to operate on 7050 to 7100 SSB and this
time the FCC will listen as they are into deregulation.

- The eventual clearing of broadcasting from 7100-7200 will go a long
way to fix this. (I might venture a guess that many DX stations don't
listen up because they can't find a receive frequency that's clear
enough to be comfortable to monitor. If one thinks the SWBC signals are
L-O-U-D over here, imagine what they must be like in most DX locations!)

- Would you still be able to hear the DX in 7050-7100 if it were legal
for USA stations to transmit there? My bet is that the segment would
"silt up" with people who are working 75m right now because they can't
deal with the BC QRM. The segment would be full of medium-range QSOs
within the U.S..

- In the meantime, datamode operation would be driven down by QRM. We'd
start seeing digital signals all the way down to 7020 or even lower.
(might start making it rather difficult to hear the *CW* DX...)

- Then wait for the CQ WW CW and watch all h**l break loose...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66